MARION FAMILY YMCA IS CURRENTLY ACCEPTING RESUMES FOR: AQUATICS DIRECTOR
Position Overview: Under the direction of the Executive Director and in accordance with the Strategic Road Map of the Marion Family YMCA, the Aquatics Director is responsible for all programs, activities and daily operation of the Aquatics Department. The Aquatics Director oversees the aquatic staff including lifeguards and instructors; administers a comprehensive staff development program; maintains a safe aquatic environment; develops and implements programs; has fiscal accountability; coaches the swim team or supervises team coach; and participates as a member of the leadership staff team. Incumbent must role model the YMCA values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility and work daily to develop personal and meaningful relationships with members, staff, and guests.
The Marion Family YMCA W. Keith Davis Natatorium has an 8 lane competitive pool, warm water therapy pool and whirlpool spa. Current aquatic programs include a comprehensive instructional swimming lesson program utilizing the new Y curriculum, a competitive swim team with approximately 20 swimmers, lifeguard training and specialty programs.
Position requires a person with a bachelor's degree and experience in youth development through aquatics, aquatics safety and program management.
Incumbent must hold current YMCA or American Red Cross Lifeguard certification including current CPR for the Professional Rescuer and First Aid; or have held in the past and are able to recertify within thirty days of accepting position. Preferred additional certifications prior to hire include YMCA Swim Lesson Instructor (new material), YMCA Lifeguard, Lifeguard Instructor, CPR for Professional Rescuer Instructor, First Aid Instructor, Oxygen Administration Instructor and Certified Pool Operator (or YMCA POOL). Additional preferred skills include coaching competitive swimming, budget development and management, highly organized, working with groups, an understanding of the YMCA mission and ability to communicate effectively with people of all ages and backgrounds.
Desirable attributes include a passion for swimming and developing young swimmers, commitment to swimmers of all backgrounds and abilities, ability to motivate swimmers at their level, and technical knowledge of swimming.
1. Build personal and meaningful relationships with members, participants, volunteers, guests and donors; help members connect with one another and with the Y.
2. Work daily to nurture the potential of all youth and teens; help people improve their well-being; and provide opportunities for people to give back and support one another.
3. Work as part of the staff leadership team responsible for carrying out the organizational, program and operational strategies of the association’s strategic plan.
4. Hire, train, schedule and supervise all lifeguards, swim lesson instructors, coaches and other staff and volunteers as assigned; review and evaluate staff performance; develop strategies to motive staff and volunteers and achieve goals.
5. Ensure a high quality, comprehensive swim instruction program that meets YUSA curriculum guidelines and community needs.
6. Ensure a competitive swimming program that encourages swimmers of all levels to experience achievement and a sense of belonging.
7. Ensure that the aquatic center meets all local, state and federal codes and YMCA guidelines for safety and operation.
8. Hold regular staff meetings and in-service trainings to keep staff rescue-ready and updated on policy changes as well as other information related to the YMCA.
9. Organize, develop, implement and promote high quality programs that meet the needs of members and the community and meet established income goals.
10. Evaluate program effectiveness through observation and administration of program evaluations by participants or parents at least once per program season.
11. In coordination with Director of Relationships, market assigned program areas ensuring target enrollment numbers are met.
12. Use and fully understand software and hardware for timing system, swim team management, and swim meets.
13. Is "hands on" in all areas including teaching aquatic classes, lifeguarding and other areas as needed.
14. Serves as association safety officer including maintain all association first aid kits, first aid stations and AEDs; and is ASHI training site manager.
15. Ensure the cleanliness of the aquatic center and that all safety equipment is in proper working condition.
16. Develop for approval, implement and monitor the aquatic department's budget.
17. Collaborate with schools, agencies, health care organizations and others to coordinate usage and rental of association pools.
18. Obtain and maintain all necessary certifications for effective and efficient execution of position's essential functions.
19. Incorporate volunteers into program areas giving people the opportunity to give back and support their neighbors.
20. Assist the Building & Grounds Director in the mechanical operation of the swimming pools.
21. Assist in YMCA financial development efforts including the Annual Building a Strong Community Campaign.
22. Attend all staff training and meetings as required.
23. Uphold YMCA policies and philosophy; use character development as a basis in working with members, participants, the public and staff.
24. Have complete knowledge of all association emergency procedures.
25. Shares in building supervising / “Director on Duty” responsibilities with other exempt staff.
26. Maintain all necessary records as requested by Executive Director.
27. Assist supervisor, Executive Director and staff team as necessary / requested to ensure successful outcome of YMCA operations and mission.
28. The incumbent must be able to fulfill the above job requirements by purposefully and seamlessly challenging her/himself and others to accept and demonstrate the positive values of Caring, Honesty, Respect and Responsibility.
Submit the following electronically to: Theresa Lubke, Executive Director
- Cover Letter
- 2 references that can speak to your leadership or coaching skills
- 2 general references
- One paragraph description of how aquatic programs can nurture the potential of youth
How to Apply
Copyright © 2017 YMCA of the USA. All rights reserved.
The YMCA is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all.