Member Engagement Director
Looking for a dedicated and enthusiastic individual to lead Member Engagement at the Wilkes-Barre Family YMCA.
Under the direction and supervision of the Senior Director of Membership Services, the Member Engagement Director shall be responsible for all day to day functioning of the service desk as well as supporting the Marketing Department and its efforts. This person will give leadership to the Service Desk staff to ensure consistent, superior service procedures to maximize member enrollment and program participation. This position also develops and keeps up to date all internal communication that is related to service desk operations as well as specific external communication to the members of the Y. They will be responsible and accountable for statistics, record keeping, and reports and cash handling and towel/locker/laundry service. Working as part of the Member Services Team, they will deliver professional customer service and relationship building skills to create a welcoming environment at the Y. The incumbent will also exhibit the core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility in all aspects of their work with the Y. Delivers excellent service to all members, guests, and program participants. Responds to member and guest needs, promotes memberships and programs, and maintains cleanliness and organization of the lobby area.
1. The incumbent must have, at minimum, an Associate’s degree or work equivalent in a related area.
2. Strong communication, customer service and problem solving skills.
3. Organizational and supervisory skills, a good understanding of administrative procedures and organization, income production, expense control, maintenance of accurate records and computer services.
4. Excellent written and oral communication skills are necessary.
5. The incumbent must be able to delegate appropriate responsibilities to the staff in order to accomplish the necessary duties.
6. Ability to establish and maintain harmonious relationships with staff, volunteers, Y members and the general public is essential.
7. A willingness to commit to the mission of the Y.
8. Ability to actively listen.
9. This person needs to be a self-starter, able to handle multiple tasks under limited supervision, work well in a team setting and be detailed oriented.
10. Experience with and knowledge of computers.
11. Possess a positive and professional attitude.
12. Have cash handling skills and the ability to reconcile shift transactions.
1. Recruit, train and supervise the membership service representative staff.
2. Provide leadership for an effective tour and enrollment procedure via desk staff as well as themselves.
3. Provide leadership for the continued improvement of all desk services to include member and constituent relations, information and program registration.
4. Ensure the delivery of appropriate sales and customer service training for desk staff.
5. Responsible for accurately maintaining all membership/program records and cash controls.
6. Assist Senior Director of Membership Services in reaching monthly goals.
7. Assist in development, ordering and productions of all membership and program materials.
8. Monitor temporary signage in the building for current information, accuracy and professional look.
9. Conduct annual audit of membership documentation with Senior Director of Membership Services.
10. Assist in preparation of membership reports/statistics as needed.
11. Use the 30/60/90 new member model in welcoming new members to the Y and ensuring member benefits are emphasized and used.
12. Maintain an organized front desk and clean and safe Y.
13. Be knowledgeable about all Y programs and sell them effectively. This includes marketing through social media, flyers, Strand Vision and other in-house marketing efforts. Need to be familiar with all current brochure information, upcoming events and other special activities. If information is not available, be responsible for obtaining the correct information, updating front desk resources and providing information to members.
14. Control access to the facility. Check-in members entering the building by scanning membership cards and obtaining proper identification of guests.
15. Register for membership and/or programs, by inputting data in the computer, collecting the proper payment and verifying the accuracy of information on Y forms.
16. Enter all transactions accurately and completely into the computer system.
17. Maintain and track towel/locker/laundry service(s).
18. Follow and enforce all Y procedures and policies, including: personnel guidelines, safety guidelines, facility access procedures and membership policies. Carry out emergency plans as necessary.
19. Responsible for staff scheduling including, and not limited to Child Watch.
20. Be dressed in appropriate attire and wear nametag at all times.
21. Attend and remain current on all mandatory trainings and staff meetings.
22. Be knowledgeable and supportive of the Y fund-raising efforts.
23. Always look for ways to improve performance.
24. Emphasize fun, make the Y a happy place with positive relationships.
25. Assume other responsibilities as deemed appropriate by supervisor.
FISCAL ACCOUNTABILITY AND ADMINISTRATION
Work with Senior Director of Membership Services to develop and monitor department budget specifically related to part-time staffing, inventory and supplies. Utilize membership system, to monitor resources and revenue lines. Provide support related to administration functions for department and branch needs as required.
The Member Engagement Director is responsible for supervising part time staff of the Member Services Department. This person may also be responsible for supervising volunteer staff.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, use hands and fingers; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, and talk and hear. The incumbent may also lift and/or move 40 pounds while performing their job functions. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. Acute hearing skills are required.
While performing the duties of this job, this individual maybe occasionally exposed to wet conditions. The typical noise level in the member service area is moderate. The individual may be occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals when/if working with laundry service.
EFFECT ON THE END RESULT
The Member Engagement Director position, as part of the Management Team, will allow for more consistent and quality customer service by making members, participants and guests of the Y feel welcome and increase their sense of belonging to the Y. The overall result of these actions will create engaged members and participants with a strong connection to the Y. Their positive experiences will result in members and participants becoming ambassadors for the Y. There will be a positive impact on membership enrollment, satisfaction and retention and there will be a strong, effective and highly motivated staff team.
Mission Advancement: Accepts and demonstrates the Y’s values. Demonstrates a desire to serve others and fulfill community needs. Helps to recruit volunteers and builds effective, supportive working relationships with them. Supports fund-raising.
Collaboration: Works effectively with people of different backgrounds, abilities, opinions, and perceptions. Builds rapport and relates well to others. Seeks first to understand the other person’s point of view, and remains calm in challenging situations. Listens for understanding and meaning; speaks and writes effectively. Takes initiative to assist in developing others.
Operational Effectiveness: Makes sound judgments, and transfers learning from one situation to another. Embraces new approaches and discovers ideas to create a better member experience. Establishes goals, clarifies tasks, plans work and actively participates in meetings. Follows budgeting policies and procedures, and reports all financial irregularities immediately. Strives to meet or exceed goals and deliver a high-value experience for members.
Personal Growth: Pursues self-development that enhances job performance. Demonstrates an openness to change, and seeks opportunities in the change process. Accurately assesses personal feelings, strengths and limitations and how they impact relationships. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
How to Apply
Copyright © 2017 YMCA of the USA. All rights reserved.
The YMCA is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all.