Aquatics Director/Head Swim Team Coach
The Scott County Family Y has an excellent advancement opportunity for an up and coming Aquatics Coordinator and Swim Team Coach!
We are currently seeking a results driven leader with demonstrated impact to lead our Aquatics and Swim Team program for 2 branch locations. These two locations have a unique common interest – they both have direct partnerships and share resources with two local high schools.
Since 1858, the Scott County Family Y has been an integral part of the Quad Cities area. With 6 branches, numerous child care locations and Camp Abe Lincoln, we continue to grow and strengthen the community to bring about positive change. The Quad Cities area, on the Mississippi River, is home to a more than 27,000 businesses including John Deere World Headquarters, Alcoa, Kraft, Exelon and a major military installation - the Rock Island Arsenal. We have low cost of living, great school systems and several higher education institutions. Here you can experience a variety of extra-curricular activities similar to those found in big cities but with a small town feel such as arts, baseball, big name concerts and events, and much more!
The qualified candidate will possess at a minimum:
- Demonstrated Swim Team Coaching experience
- Ability to build solid relations and build on current collaborations with school partners and other community entities to grow programs
- Demonstrated skill in all areas of aquatics program management
- Strong ability to effectively communicate with program participants, parents, members and community partners.
- Bachelor degree in related field.
- Prior swim team coaching experience.
- 2 years prior experience working with aquatics or YMCA professional work in a related field (recreation, physical education, or related field) is required.
- 1 year prior supervisory experience.
- Proven record of successfully managing multiple programs simultaneously.
- Able to respond to critical incidents and act swiftly in emergency situations.
The Aquatics Director/Head Swim Team Coach will be primarily responsible for coaching the Swim Team and managing the Aquatics department.
Primary goal will be to build an overall program that is recognized as a top rate, leading aquatics/swim team program in the community that increases reach and impact.
- Serve as a role model to members and YMCA staff. Live the mission, vision, and values of the YMCA movement.
- Responsible for overall coaching and operation of swim team program and directly coaches the Swim Team.
- Create, coordinate and implement swim team practice and meet schedules.
- Direct and lead aquatics staff to ensure acceptable performance of assigned duties.
- Develop new aquatics and swim team programs and continually work to increase enrollment in existing program.
- Perform Lifeguard training and ensure all staff meet certification guidelines.
- Manage staff and pool schedules ensuring they are in line with annual budget and program and association objectives.
- Maintain a professional image within the community and the YMCA.
- Must possess excellent verbal/written communication skills in order to effectively communicate with program participants, parents and members.
- Lead swim team parent education meetings.
- Develop and implement strategic objectives in conjunction with the annual budget to maximize effectiveness of aquatic and swim team programming and the department as a whole.
- Maintain and update accurate certification and other required records and reports for aquatic and swim team staff and in accordance with SCFY policy.
- Instructs lifeguard, Swim Instructor, CPR/AED/FA trainings.
- Instruct swim lessons and perform lifeguard duties as needed.
- Stock first aid kits, AED, rescue kits and water chemistry supplies in the facility.
- Manage facilities and equipment resources for programs and usage.
- Take part in and solicit others to participate in necessary YMCA financial development efforts, specifically the Annual Campaign.
- Adherence to all policies and procedures of Scott County Family Y.
- Understand and follow all safety rules and regulations including knowledge of emergency procedures and location of emergency equipment.
- Regular and timely adherence to respective schedule/meetings.
- All other duties as assigned by the Branch Executive.
- Must be able to pass background check
- Mandatory Reporter*
- Lifeguarding/CPR/First Aid/AED certification required
- Swim Coach Certification preferred, required within 3 months of hire
- Swim Lesson Instructor certification by YMCA or American Red Cross must be obtained within 3 months of hire.
*Note: If not currently certified, must obtain certification within 30 days of hire. The * noted certification training programs are provided by SCFY staff.
Benefits: As a full-time employee, the qualified candidate will receive a competitive benefit package to include major medical, dental, vision, Life/AD&D, Voluntary Life/AD&D, LTD, Y Retirement (12%), paid time off and a free family membership.
How to Apply
Copyright © 2017 YMCA of the USA. All rights reserved.
The YMCA is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all.