Program Instructor- Outdoor Education
YMCA Camp Marston, located on 250 acres of forested land in Julian, CA is looking for Program Instructors to work their outdoor ed programs.
Julian, CA 92036-
Teach outdoor/natural history classes, recreational activities, and provide overnight resident supervision to students in a fifth and sixth grade outdoor science school program. Provide excellent customer service to all clients, know and enforce safety rules, care for equipment and facilities, and work well as a member of the camp community.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Bachelor's degree or in progress in education, recreation, related field, or equivalent experience preferred.
- Experience or aptitude to work closely with children in a positive, supportive manner.
- Minimum 6 months experience in outdoor education or related field.
- Visual and auditory ability to respond to critical incidents and the physical ability to act swiftly in an emergency situation.
- Ability to adequately observe participants activities, enforce safety regulations, and apply appropriate policies and procedures.
- Physical ability to lead and interact in group activities and perform related physical skills including: standing, hiking and/or climbing for long periods of time.
- Ability to teach and lead camp activities.
- CPR and First Aid certification required prior to working with participants and must be from one of the following certifying organization: American Red Cross, American Heart Association or American Safety & Health Institute.
- Teach educational classes and lead activities for students and clients. Develop an interpretive display or lesson plans based on needs and areas of expertise.
- Lead activities including (but not limited to) archery, field games, and the climbing tower with good teaching and leadership skills.
- Employ good teaching and leadership techniques in providing quality instruction.
- Take full responsibility for the program areas of camp, including developing rules and procedures and maintaining or improving equipment and facilities.
- Use good judgment and make conservative decisions to ensure the safety of our campers.
- Follow all rules, operating procedures, and instructions, carry and use properly the necessary equipment during activities, know and follow established emergency procedures.
- Provide exemplary role modeling at all times when groups are in camp, and demonstrate a strong sense of ownership in camp, including cleaning of facilities and care of equipment and supplies
- Supervise students during mealtimes, overnight in cabins, during transitional times and during cabin chores.
- Follow specific directives of the Program Coordinators, Outdoor Education Director, or Program Directors as assigned. Communicate all work-related issues through the Program Coordinators.
$60.00 - $75.00/Day; includes room and board
How to Apply
Copyright © 2017 YMCA of the USA. All rights reserved.
The YMCA is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all.