Food Service Director
This position is responsible for planning, developing, supervising, coordinating and implementing a high quality food service program.
Middleville, MI 49333-
Under the guidance of the Operations Director, this position is part of the team responsible for marketing, planning, developing, supervising, coordinating and implementing a high quality food service for Summer Camp, Outdoor Education and Retreat program at YMCA Camp Manitou-Lin. This position carries responsibility for providing quality food service within nutritional and cost guidelines. Must meet applicable American Camp Association Standards, Michigan Health laws and USDA requirements in food service area. Responsible for cleanliness and light maintenance of the camp kitchen and dining facility. Incumbent is responsible for the preparation and management of the Food Service Department Budget.
- Oversees all aspects of the YMCA Camp Manitou-Lin Food Service Operation.
- Performs all duties as Head Cook.
- Works with vendors to purchase food and supplies at lowest cost and highest quality possible.
- Submits food invoices on a weekly basis for authorization/payment. Special attention must be given to month-end and year-end closing activities.
- Comprehensive inventory quarterly.
- Asses inventory weekly/prior to each order during peak seasons.
- Conducts a comprehensive inventory in August at the end of summer camp, December and May at the end of each Retreat Season.
- Participates in all available reimbursement programs camp is eligible for.
- Designs menus to stay within cost guidelines that is healthy and high quality in both taste and appearance.
- Coordinates with the Staff that oversees the purchases and maintain Camp Store beverages and snacks for all seasons.
- Monitors progress through the camp season and makes necessary adjustments as needed.
- Evaluates vendor relationships on an annual basis.
- Provides courteous and professional service to guests.
- Provides coordinated program planning with all other exempt staff leadership team members.
- Maintains all kitchen facilities equipment in a proper quality manner.
- Assists in training and supervising all Summer Camp and Retreat staff positions.
- Responsible for the stewardship of camp’s natural resources, facilities, equipment and programs.
- Insures that programs are operated in a safe and professional manner, adhering to the standards of the YMCA of Greater Grand Rapids.
- Evaluates and monitors the camp food program, ensuring the food service program meets the needs of the participants.
- Works with the Association Grants Department and Camp Leadership Team to ensure all standards are met in order to qualify for summer food program.
- Follows established marketing and graphics standards.
- Models and communicates the YMCA of Greater Grand Rapids Mission, Vision, and Values.
- Maintains positive relationships within the YMCA, food service industry, camping communities and professional organizations.
- Continues professional growth through educational study and conference attendance.
- Assists with the coordination of activities and operations between camp departments as they relate to the food service programs and the camp in general such as assigned host coverage.
- Assists in the coordination of ACA guidelines and accreditation.
- Provides food service data and reports in support of planning processes and presentations at appropriate Board Meetings.
Human Resource Management
- Manages seasonal staff and volunteers
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the Association’s policies and applicable laws
- Assists staff in identifying and meeting all development needs with action plans built into the next fiscal year budget
- Completes payroll; Audits payroll reports
- Supports the Association in recruitment and maintaining of diverse staff and volunteers
- Interviews, hires, and trains staff that meet all state, ACA, YMCA and Michigan standards
- Plans, assigns, and directs work; rewards and disciplines staff; addresses complaints and resolves problems
- Develops and maintains the Food Service (241) department Budget.
- Works with the Executive Camp Director in development of an annual budget.
- Recommends expenses in areas of food, janitorial supplies, equipment, and staffing
- Manages all appropriate expense accounts within the budget, and reviews on a regular basis.
- Recruits, hires and trains the highest caliber of kitchen staff within all state, ACA, YMCA, and Michigan standards.
- Purchases food supplies budgeted at the rate of 13% of gross revenues or less.
- Works within budget and year-end-projection timetables to meet all deadlines.
- Monitors expenses monthly. Stays within 5% of budgeted plan. If needed, takes corrective action to keep budget in positive, or zero variance.
- Keeps track of camp gross revenues from other departments on a monthly basis and adjust spending to stay within the percentage allotment.
Performs any other functions necessary for the smooth and efficient operation of Camp Manitou-Lin and the YMCA of Greater Grand Rapids.
Bachelor’s or Associates Degree Culinary or equivalent work experience in the Food Service industry is preferred. YMCA, Camping, catering or banquet experience preferred. 1-2 years’ experience in food service or hospitality, is required. Experience hiring, supervising, and leading a team is required. Strong interpersonal and communication skills, customer service, public relations skills, and the ability to work with youth and adults are essential. Must have a valid driver’s license, clean driving record, intermediate experience with computers, including personal computer applications such as database and word processing. Ability to respond to safety and emergency situations is important.
Food Service Managers Certificate
First aid certification required
Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) required
Blood borne pathogens training required upon hire
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each essential duty. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
How to Apply
Copyright © 2017 YMCA of the USA. All rights reserved.
The YMCA is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all.