RESIDENT CAMP DIRECTOR
Camp Jordan is situated on 200 acres on Branch Lake Please visit www.campjordan.org.
Ellsworth , ME 04605-
Provides year-round, full-time, on-site oversight, administration and day-to-day implementation of high quality programming for the Bangor YMCA Wilderness Center at Camp Jordan including, but not limited to: overnight youth camping, family camping, adventure -based programming, outdoor adventure tripping, leadership development, conference programming, off-season rentals and community special events.
Minimum age of 21
Bachelor’s degree, Master’s preferred plus previous YMCA resident camp experience.
Minimum 5-7 years of successful leadership/supervisory experience.
Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
Proven history of leadership in the areas of staff development, fundraising, program planning, budget development, camp accreditation and licensing.
Previous management experience according to ACA standards.
Previous training and experience in high ropes courses and adventure/challenge programs required.
Child Abuse Prevention, CPR, Blood Bourne Pathogens, First Aid and AED certifications required within 30 days of employment.
Mission Advancement: Models and teaches the Ys values. Ensures a high level of service with a commitment to changing lives. Provides volunteers with orientation, training, development, and recognition. Cultivates relationships to support fund-raising.
Collaboration: Champions inclusion activities, strategies, and initiatives. Builds relationships to create small communities. Empathetically listens and communicates for understanding when negotiating and dealing with conflict. Effectively tailors communications to the appropriate audience. Provides staff with feedback, coaching, guidance and support.
Operational Effectiveness: Provides others with frameworks for making decisions. Conducts prototypes to support the launching of programs and activities. Develops plans and manages best practices through engagement of team. Effectively creates and manages budgets. Holds staff accountable for high-quality results using a formal process to measure progress.
Personal Growth: Shares new insights. Facilitates change; models adaptability and an awareness of the impact of change. Utilizes non-threatening methods to address sensitive issues and inappropriate behavior or performance. Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills required to perform well; uses best practices and demonstrates up-to-date knowledge and skills in technology.
- Manages, directs and coordinates all Wilderness Center programming. Ensures high quality programs and establishes new program opportunities in alignment with the YMCA three pillars: Youth Development, Healthy Living and Social Responsibility.
Responsible for the development and management of the annual camp budget.
Oversee the management of the entire camp property including maintenance, food service, staff housing, cabins, kybos, health center, camp roads, camp vehicles, waterfront, maintenance shed, ropes course program store and overall camp environment.
- Directly responsible for camper recruitment and retention and alumni development
- Expands programs within the community in accordance with strategic and operating plans.
Recruits, hires, trains and develops the best possible staff team, evaluates the performance of all employees, counsels them according to a continuous improvement process and performance standards.
Responsible for the continued development, implementation, growth and evaluation of all assigned camp programs to include Weekend/Conference Program, Summer Day Camp, Family Camps, Banquets, and other rentals and programs as developed.
- Assures compliance with ACA and YMCA program standards are met and safety procedures are followed.
- Assists in the marketing and distribution of Wilderness Center program information, including timely and accurate submissions to the Marketing team. Organizes and schedules program registrations, distributes fliers and attends community expos /out of state camp fairs.
- Demonstrates ability to interact with the youth attending the programs, their parents and/or guardians and counselors in direct management of youth programming.
- Develops and maintains collaborative relationships with community organizations.
- Assists in YMCA fund raising activities and special events.
- Responds to all member and community inquiries and complaints in timely manner.
- Compiles program statistics. Monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of and participation in programs.
- Accepts other duties as deemed appropriate within the scope of this job description.
- Highly flexible schedule with varying hours including working evenings and weekends.
- Lives year round, onsite at the Wilderness Center at Camp Jordan.
Salary: dependent on qualifications
The Bangor YMCA rewards dedicated employees by offering an excellent benefits package including health and dental insurance, retirement options, a generous time off package and professional development opportunities. This position includes year round, onsite housing as a condition of employment.
How to Apply
Copyright © 2017 YMCA of the USA. All rights reserved.
The YMCA is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to put Christian principles into practice through programs that build healthy spirit, mind and body for all.